- 4-5 large New Brunswick Russet or White potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned or plain salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- light sprinkling of granulated garlic (optional)
- 4-6 slices smoked bacon, cooked
- 1/2 cup canned crispy onion bits (optional)
Microwave bacon until 1/2 cooked; set aside on paper towels to absorb grease; pat dry. Cut into bite sized pieces when cool.
Wash and peel potatoes. Cut into 1/2 inch slices (the 6mm or 8mm thick blade of a food processor may be used).
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add 1 teaspoon salt to the boiling water, then add the sliced potatoes, pepper and onion. Cook for 1 minute in boiling water; drain in colander.
In saucepan, melt butter. Using a whisk, stir in flour and milk, mixing until smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add cheese and continue to stir until cheese melts. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix in bacon.
Transfer mixture to a buttered 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle top very lightly with granulated garlic (optional).
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Sprinkle top with crispy canned onions, if desired, and bake for another 4-5 minutes.Print Recipe