Ready Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground corriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Cooking Spray, As needed
- Plain Yogurt, As needed
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain; mash with a potato masher or pass through a ricer.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion starts to brown.
- Stir in chili powder, coriander, cumin and salt; cook for 1 minute. In a bowl, fold together potatoes, onion mixture and cilantro. Form into 8 patties.(May be done ahead of time and refrigerated until needed.)
- Heat a skillet or griddle and coat lightly with cooking spray. Fry patties 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with yogurt, if desired.
Calories: 99 Fat: 3.8g Sodium: 75mg Fiber: 1.4g Protein: 1.8g Potassium: 327mg
Recipe courtesy of the US Potato BoardPrint Recipe