Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Ready Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 lb. Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- Garlic salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups lightly packed fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan; add onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to lightly brown. Stir in celery, potatoes, broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, then purée in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour back into saucepan and stir in basil, garlic salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Check seasonings, then add spinach and cook a minute or 2 more to wilt spinach.
Serving suggestion: Add a small swirl of basil pesto and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to each bowl for added Italian flavor.
Calories: 180 Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 1070mg Vitamin C: 72% Fiber: 6g Protein: 7g Potassium: 184mg
Recipe courtesy of the US Potato BoardPrint Recipe